- Carolyn Latanision, one of our Signature Members was commissioned by the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston to replicate a J.M.W.Turner watercolor to accompany their exhibition of his work. It is being shown in one of the galleries at the Museum as well as on the Museum of Fine Arts website.
CLICK HERE to visit the MFA website for more information.
- MAZER, Dr. Myron S. (Mike) 85, of Mattapoisett, died February 1st after a long illness. Mike was born in Boston and attended Boston Latin School where in his yearbook, it was written “He well knows what it is to be the favored friend of many”, a quote he lived up to all his life. He received his Bachelor's degree from Boston University and his medical degree with Alpha Omega Alpha honors at the University of Cincinnati where he was granted a Junior National Institute of Health fellowship in Gastroenterology. He was an LCDR, U.S. Navy, retired, having volunteered for active duty during the Vietnam War.
After retiring, he renewed his endeavor in painting both in watercolor and oil and became a nationally and internationally award-winning artist and a two-term President of the New England Watercolor Society. He was a designated U.S. Coast Guard artist and exhibited his work across the county with many of his paintings in museums and public and private collections across the country. He was awarded the “Albert Nelson Marquis Lifetime Achievement Award” in 2017 by Marquis Who’s Who Publishers. His work has been published in many art books and an image of his watercolor titled “The Whaleman Statue” is on the cover of the book “A Bold and Hardy Race of Men: The Lives and Literature of American Whalemen” published by the University of Mass Press.
In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to Boston Children’s Hospital, 300 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, and the Dana Farber Cancer Institute, 450 Brookline Avenue, Boston, MA 02215. Private arrangements are with the Saunders-Dwyer Mattapoisett Home for Funerals, 50 County Rd. (Rt. 6), Mattapoisett. For directions and guestbook, visit www.saundersdwyer.com.
Associate Member Esther Donlon's painting “A Prized Catch II” won 7th place award in the 2021 National Show at the Rhode Island Watercolor Society. This show was juried by Tom Lynch. The show ran from 7/31 until 9/17 at the RIWS gallery in Pawtucket RI.
This painting was also juried into the 71st Annual Exhibit of Traditional Realism of the Academic Artists Association in April 2021. This is Esther’s second acceptance into this Association’s annual show which qualifies her to be an elected member of this organization.
John Krenik’s (NWS, GWS, HWS, NEWS NMWS, NWWS, SWS, TWS) watercolor painting “Haleakala High” won ‘The Golden Callus Award for Best in Show’ at Hawaii Watercolor Society 58th Annual Open Exhibition juried by Keiko Tanabe, AWS, NWS, LPAPA held at the Downtown Art Center 1041 Nu’uanu Ave 2nd floor gallery from August 31-September 18, 2021. The exhibition will also be online at https://www.dac-arts.com and at https://www.hawaiiwatercolorsociety.org
John Krenik’s Watercolour painting, “Enhanced Evening” was accepted in the New Mexico Watercolor Society National 2021 Fall Show juried by Steve Griggs. The show runs from October 2 through October 24, 2021 at Fine Arts Gallery, EXPO – NM State Fairgrounds, with an online extension for the show through December 1, 2021, at https://nmwatercolorsociety.org
The New England Watercolor Society would like to welcome the following nine artists who have achieved Signature Membership this year. Each has successfully had paintings accepted into four Biennial Exhibitions including this year’s Regional and at least one North American Open.
Our New Signature Members are:
Karen Dunderdale; Marshfield, MA
Jack Foley; Lincoln, MA
Jackie Habig; Foxboro, MA
Christopher Kiersted; Edgartown, MA
Craig Masten; Warwick, RI
Paul Mogan; Scituate, MA
Debra Petrowski; West Yarmouth, MA
Shauna Shane; Storrs, CT
Mary Smith; Sandwich, MA
Congratulations to all.
We find it heartbreaking to inform our members of the death of one of our new Signature Members, a talented lady with one of the biggest hearts we will ever meet. Elizabeth Fawcett passed away on August 20th 2021. Condolences to the family can be sent to Sheila and Michael Kobaly, 33 Fort Pond Hill Rd., Littleton MA 01460
Signature Member Michael E. Vermette is presenting a one person show at the Gleason Fine Art Gallery in Boothbay Harbor, Maine. The Gleason Fine Art Gallery was voted the best gallery in the state of Maine again this year! The show, called "50 PLUS ONE" represents 50 paintings created in August 2020 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Allagash Wilderness Waterway as a designated wild river. Michael has also written and published a book for the show and will be there to sign copies for patrons. The show will open on August 6, 2021 and run until August 31, 2021.
- Home: Paintings by Loring W. Coleman
53 Cambridge Turnpike, Concord, MA 01742
Concord Museum is open: Thursday – Sunday, 10:00 am to 4:00 pm.
The show is open through January 31, 2021
In 2017, the Concord Museum was honored to receive an anonymous gift of forty-seven works of art by Loring Wilkins Coleman (1918-2015), a notable plein air painter of New England landscapes. We are pleased to present this new exhibition that celebrates the work of an accomplished artist who had a strong Concord connection and who explored a changing New England with a sense of wonder and authenticity. In his 2011 autobiography, Coleman wrote about the exhibition's title painting:"Home…the title speaks for itself, for the painting represents the old farmhouses that still remain in New England and in my thoughts."After a childhood in Chicago, Coleman lived at his grandmother's Concord house, Tanglewood, on 200 acres overlooking the Sudbury River. He attended the Middlesex School, where he was taught by Russell Kettell, whose influence on the Concord Museum is extensive. After service in World War II,
Coleman taught for many years, including twenty-seven years at Middlesex School, while exhibiting his work across the country. He was an Academician of the National Academy of Design and a member of the American Watercolor Society, Allied Artists of America, Guild of Boston Artists, New England Watercolor Society, Concord Art Association, and Salmagundi Club.A number of creative public programs will be offered this fall and winter in association with the exhibition including a virtual exploration of stone walls, painting demonstrations, and a virtual conversation with one who knew Loring Coleman as a teacher, an artist, and a friend. A virtual tour of the exhibition will also be available on the Museum's website. Join us to explore Home: Paintings by Loring W. Coleman.
- Associate member Hongbing Tang recently had an online watercolor exhibit titled "The Lost to be Found" at the Jones Library in Amherst MA. Invited by Amherst Arts Night Plus, she created a short video that was aired on Amherst TV Channel 12. Her exhibited pieces are included in her video, which can be viewed on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVEN8SwW7f0
Signature Member Tony Visco was awarded Second Place at the Rhode Island Watercolor Society's National Watermedia Exhibition for his painting "Beached". The exhibition runs from August 1st through September 25th, 2020 at the Rhode Island Watercolor Society Gallery, 831 Armistice Blvd, Pawtucket, RI 02861. Gallery hours: Thursday - Saturday, 10am - 4pm.
Associate Member Esther Donlon's painting "Stranded at Low Tide II" was accepted into the 2020 National Show at the Rhode Island Watercolor Society. The show runs from 8/1 to 9/25 at the RIWS gallery in Pawtucket RI.
"Garden Royalty," by Associate Member Judith Freeman Clark, was accepted into the 2020 National Show at the Rhode Island Watercolor Society. The show runs from 8/1 to 9/25 at the RIWS gallery in Pawtucket RI.
Clark's painting “Feeling Cheerful,” was juried into the Cape Cod Art Center’s National 2020 Open Juried Exhibit. See the exhibit (online only), through 9/14, at https://capecodartcenter.org/the-national-open-juried-exhibit/
In November 2019, Clark had three landscapes selected for permanent display in the Inpatient Cancer Center at UMass Memorial Medical Center's University Campus, Worcester MA.
- NEWS signature member Michael Vermette has been awarded the 1st residency at the most remote place in Maine: The Allagash Wilderness Waterway.
- Associate Member Alonzo Clarke has had paintings accepted into the following shows:
"Lonely Coast" was juried into the Hudson Valley Art Association's 87th Annual National Juried Exposition, Lyme Art Association, Old Lyme. CT. Exhibition dates 6/26-8/14
"Early Winter Inlet" was juried into the Cooperstown Art Association's 85th Annual National Juried Exposition. Online-only exhibition opens 7/10 @ http://www.cooperstownart.com/
"From Above and Below" was juried into the 2020 Adirondacks National Exhibition of American Watercolors, VIEW Arts Center, Old Forge, NY. Exhibition dates 8/8-9/27
Signature Member Wini Breines, won First Place Award in the Providence Art Club National Open Juried Exhibition 2020.
Associate member, Esther Donlon’s painting, ”Crystal Bowl with Flowers” was accepted by this year’s jury panel into the 70th Annual National Exhibition of Traditional Realism of the Academic Artists Association, hosted by Arts Center East, 709 Hartford Turnpike, Vernon CT. The show will be on exhibit from April 26 - May 17, 2020. There will be an opening reception on April 26th, 1-4 p.m.
Signature member, Mike Mazer won First place in Watercolor for his painting "Oil Barge and Tug" at the Cape Cod Art Center's All New England exhibition in October, and was juried into the American Artists Professional League's 91st Grand National Exhibition in NYC which is on exhibit through November 22, 2019.
Signature Member P. Anthony Visco's “Duxbury Channel Markers” was awarded First Place in Watercolor at the 52nd Annual Plymouth Center for the Arts Juried Show and Exhibition. The show runs until November 4th , 2019 at the Plymouth Center for the Arts, 11 North Street, Plymouth, MA 02360.
Also, the Australian TV show “Colour in Your Life” https://www.colourinyourlife.com.au filmed a video in Tony's studio at Jones River Park, Kingston, MA, on September 4th as part of CIYL's first East Coast Tour. The episode is scheduled to air October 25th, 2019. It will be available on https://www.colourinyourlife.com.au/tv-show/ Youtube and many TV channels in 14 plus countries around the world. The Colour in Your Life Series is well branded and feature artists from around the world painting in their studios. For more information contact Tony at email@example.com
- Signature Member P. Anthony Visco and Associate Member Terry Kole are currently exhibiting a series of childrens's book illustrations at the Plymouth Public Library. The show entitled “Tell Me a Story! The art of childrens books” runs from October 3rd – January 3rd, 2020. Reception, Book Sale and Signing, Monday, Oct. 21st from 5-7pm in The Gallery @ Plymouth Public Library, 132 South Street, Plymouth, MA 02360. This is a wonderful event for kids and features 8 books and 60 plus illustrations.
Signature Member Evelyn Dunphy's “A Cuddle of Sand Dollars” and “Spirit of Winter” will be included in the exhibition of work by 34 contemporary Maine artists, “Framing Maine, Celebrating Maine’s 200th anniversary of statehood” at the University of Maine in Orono. The opening reception is October 4th.
Also, the Australian TV show “Colour in Your Life” https://www.colourinyourlife.com.au filmed a video in Evelyn's studio on September 7th as part of their first East Coast Tour. It will be available on Youtube and many TV channels around the world in a few weeks. They feature artists from around the world painting in their studios.
Signature Member Karol Wyckoff's watercolor "BAXTER'S" won "Best of Show" at the Cape Cod Art Center's exhibition "Windows & Doors." The show opened on Aug. 12 and will close on Sept. 16th.
Signature Member Ann Hart's painting "Love Locks" has won an award at the Pennsylvania Watercolor Society's 40th International Exhibition at the Lancaster Art Museum through October 26, 2019. The juror of selection was John Salminen and juror of awards Matthew Bird.
Signature member Mike Mazer won first place in watercolor at the Arts Affair, Marina Bay, Quincy, in August where 20 regional art associations participated, and also won an Honorable Mention at the 26th Annual Maritime exhibition at the Coos Art Museum in Oregon.The show runs through September 28, 2019. He also just completed a solo exhibition at the Kensington-Stobart Gallery in Salem at the invitation of John Stobart.
Signature member Mike Mazer just completed a solo invitational exhibition of 24 of his marine watercolors at the Akillian Gallery located at Massasoit Community College in Canton, Mass where he also participated in a juried fine art (all media) exhibition and won 3rd prize for his painting "Inflatable Reflections". He was selected to participate in an invitational exhibition at Tabor Academy in Marion, Mass, where three of his marine paintings were on display. Mike will be exhibiting two of his watercolors in the Coos Art Museum's 26th Annual Maritime Exhibit July13 through September 28, 2019. His painting of the USCG Buoy tender, Ida Lewis, was accepted into the 2019 COGAP Collection in Washington, D.C.
Associate member Judith Freeman Clark, has two paintings juried into the Bay State Open at the Cape Cod Art Association. "Daffodil Waltz" and "Garden Royalty" will be on display from May 14 through June 16, at the CCAA on Rte. 6A in Barnstable, MA.
The top three awards at the 2019 Members Show of the Rhode Island Watercolor Society went to NEWS Signature Members Bill Lane, Robin Beckwith, and Donna MacLure.
Associate member Judith Freeman Clark, won Second Prize for "Sunlight and Shadow, Staglieno Cemetery, Genoa" in the Cape Cod Art Association's National Open Juried Show "Opposites Attract," which closed on March 16 in Barnstable, MA.
Clark also won Second Prize for her painting "Follow the Leader" in the Cape Cod Art Association's "All New England" show, which ran from Oct. to Nov. 2018 in Barnstable.
Signature Member Steve Hamlin has two paintings in the Northeast Watercolor Society Annual Juried Member Show. His painting "Raven Study, Lamar Valley" was selected for an Excellence Award. The show runs Feb. 3 – Mar. 18 at the Orange Hall Gallery, SUNY Orange Community College, Middletown NY
Congratulations to our members who were accepted to the 152nd Annual International Exhibition of the American Watercolor Society: Evelyn Dunphy, Andrew Kusmin, Carolyn Latanision, Robert O'Brien, Irena Roman, and Richard Sabin. A special congratulations to Andrew Kusmin, Carolyn Latanision and Richard Sabin, who earned Signature Member status.
Associate member Karen Fitzgerald was awarded the Blick Art Materials II prize for her entry to the Northeast Watercolor Society International Exhibition. Her acceptance to the show also earned her Signature membership in that organization. Her entry to the Rhode Island Watercolor Society's "Light and Shadow" juried show this fall won Third place, and she won an an Honorable Mention in the Topsfield Fair professional Division.
Signature member Mike Mazer has been juried into the American Artists Professional League 90th Grand National Exhibition, on display at the Salmagundi Club in NYC from Nov. 11-19, 2018.
Signature member Steve Hamlin won the Holbein Artist Materials Award III for his painting Mt. Oberlin Mountain Goats at the 42nd International Exhibition of the Northeast Watercolor Society. He also won the Home Oil & Gas Company Award for Screech Owl, NBS at the Kentucky Biennial National Wildlife Exhibition, Henderson KY.
Signature member Mike Mazer is exhibiting in the International Guild of Realism's 13th Annual Juried Exhibition in Santa Fe, New Mexico in October, 2018. Mike won First prize in Watercolor at the Arts Affair in Quincy Mass with over 15 regional art associations participating. Mike also exhibited in the Cape Cod Art Center's National Show in August.
Congratulations to the artists who earned Signature Member status after having a painting accepted to the North American Open Exhibition in Duxbury MA: Lisa Bailey, Nancy Daly, Claudia Michael, Kate Sullivan, Gary Tucker, John Holladay, Yvonne Hemingway and Harry Ruddock III.
Associate member Esther Donlon has been juried into the Rhode Island Watercolor Society 23rd National Show. The show was juried by Vladislav Yeliseyev, and her “Nubble Light” watercolor will be on exhibit from Sept 15 - Nov 8, 2018. Opening Reception is Sept 15, 2-4pm at the RIWS Gallery in Slater Memorial Park, Armistice Blvd, Pawtucket, RI.
Signature member Mike Mazer has been juried into the International Guild of Realism’s 13th annual exhibition to be held in Santa Fe, New Mexico. His Oil painting, Seamist, Aucoot Cove will be on exhibit at the Sugarman-Peterson Gallery for the month of October. Mike has also been juried into the Cape Cod Art Center’s National exhibition where his watercolor painting titled “To The Next Level” will be on exhibit through August 12.
Signature Member P. Anthony Visco has a show of about 30 paintings (watercolor and oils) on display at the Weston Council on Aging, April through the end of June, 2018. His paintings focus on favorite New England scenes and abandoned objects found in unusual settings. There will be a public reception on Monday May 7, from 12:00-1:30. The Weston Council On Aging is at 20 Alphabet Ln, Weston, MA 02493, (781) 786-6260. They are open Monday - Friday 9:AM - 4: PM
Signature Member, Mike Mazer's painting “Work and Play” was juried into the American Artist Professional League’s 89th Grand National Exhibition.
In January, 2018, Marquis’ Who’s Who publishers honored Mike with their ‘Albert Nelson Marquis Lifetime Achievement Award’ in his chosen fields of Art, Medicine and Science. Read the press release and Mike's biography.
Finally, two of Mike's watercolors were commissioned and accepted into the permanent collection of the U.S. Coast Guard and will hang in the USCG Museum in Washington D.C. One represents an arctic ecological expedition and the other a boarding of a fishing vessel in search of drugs. The art collection is used as an outreach tool for educating diverse audiences about the United States Coast Guard. They will be unveiled at a reception in July at the Salmagundi Cub in NYC.
- Associate member Esther Donlon won second place for her painting “Laundry Day in Burano” and an Honorable Mention for her painting “Nubble Light” at the Westford Regional Art Exhibit on Mar 16th. The exhibit will be on display until Mar 25th at the Parish Center for the Arts, 10 Lincoln St., Westford.
Associate Member Judith Freeman Clark's painting, Memorial Day Parade: "Do Your Best!" was juried into the Cape Cod Art Association's exhibit, "Tell A Story," which runs from Feb. 12 through Mar. 17, 2018, at the CCAA, 3480 Rte. 6A, Barnstable, MA 02630.
Also, Judith's painting, "Big Poppy," was juried into "The Brilliance of Color" show at the Rhode Island Watercolor Society, Pawtucket, RI. The show runs from Feb. 24 - Apr. 5, 2018.
- Signature Member Evelyn Dunphy’s painting “A Feast From the Sea” has been given the Edgar Whitney award for Watercolor at the Catherine Lorillard Wolfe Art Club’s 121st National Exhibition at the National Arts Club, New York.
- Signature Member Robin Beckwith was accepted by jury as an Elected Artist Member of Art League Rhode Island. She was awarded Second Place in the International Society of Experimental Artists 3rd Annual Member Only Virtual Exhibit. Robin's work received an Honorable Mention in the Annual RI Open Juried Exhibit held at the Warwick Center for the Arts, as well as a Merit Award in the Atttleboro Arts Museum's Members Show. She received a Judge's Award at Wickford Art Association's Abstract/Avant Garde open juried show, and her painting "Tesserae" was selected by jury for the 5th Annual Poetry and Art Show at WAA.
- Associate Member Judith Freeman Clark's painting "Good Food" was one of twelve selected by public ballot for inclusion in the Rhode Island Watercolor Society's 2018 calendar.
- December, 2017 - Associate Member Judith Freeman Clark was accepted by the Cape Cod Art Association's Portfolio Review Board as a "Juried Artist Member in Fine Art."
Signature Member Kathy Ferrara has an exhibit of 21 watercolors at Bella's Restaurant in Rockland, MA, located at 933 Hingham Street, Rockland. The show will run until January 6th, 2018.
Signature member Andrew Kusmin and oil painter Judy Quinn will be featured in a joint show called “Oil and Water Do Mix" at the Plymouth Public Library Gallery opening Thursday, Dec. 7, 2017, with an artists' reception beginning at 5:30 p.m. The pair will offer a gallery talk at 6:30, followed by a book signing. Copies of Kusmin's “Palette of Dreams” will be available, along with “Singing in the Dark Black Night” and “All the World is a Stage” by Quinn. The show, which runs through February, will mix the art of Quinn, who works in oil and an eclectic range of multimedia, with Kusmin's watercolor paintings. The library is located at 132 South St. Go to plymouthpubliclibrary.org, call 508-830-4250 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
Signature member Carolyn Latanision - Pennsylvania Watercolor Society International Exhibition: Red Rose Investment Group Award for Realism, in Watercolor; Rockport Art Association: Winifred Jackman Hibbard Memorial Award for Excellence in Watercolor; Inclusion in San Diego International Watercolor Society International Exhibition 2017; Inclusion in Whistler House Museum of Art Fall Juried Exhibition 2107.
Associate member Judith Freeman Clark's painting "Santa on Vacation" was juried into the Cape Cod Art Association's "All New England" Exhibit, which runs from October 16 through November 12, 2017, at the CCAA, 3480 Rte. 6A, Barnstable, MA 02630.
Signature member Carolyn Latanision was awarded the top honors in the National Watercolor Society International Open Exhibition for her painting "Flanges, Bethlehem Steel": National Watercolor Society Purchase Award with Silver Star & Southwest Art Magazine Award. The painting will remain in their gallery as part of their permanent collection.
Associate member Karen Fitzgerald shared the following recent accomplishments: she was included in the 87th Annual National Open Juried Exhibition (2017) of the Connecticut Women Artists, Inc.; accepted to the 2016 and 2017 North East Watercolor Society Annual International Juried Show, the 2017 Adirondacks National Juried Exhibition of American Watercolors, the 2017 Rhode Island Watercolor Society Open Juried shows, “Celebration of Color”, “Anything Goes”, and “Memories.”
Signature member Steve Hamlin was accepted as an elected artist to the American Artists Professional League.
Signature member Frank Costantino's solo show SUBJECTS OF MANY COLORS ON PAPER - watercolors & drawings of architecture, animals, boats, flowers, foods & landscapes - is at the Robert H. Gibson River Garden Gallery from September 1-30. The gallery is at 157 Main Street Brattleboro, VT. All works are also on view at www.strollingoftheheifers.com.
Associate member Esther Donlon's "Lunch at the Trattoria" was accepted to the RIWS National Juried Exhibit to be held in Pawtucket ,RI. The opening reception is Oct 14th from 4 -6 PM.
Signature member Kristin Stashenko's painting Boston Public Library has been accepted to the San Diego Watercolor Society's 37th International Juried Exhibit to be held Oct 1- Oct 31 2017; her entry was accepted to the RIWS National Juried Exhibit to be held in Pawtucket ,RI. The opening reception is Oct 14th from 4 -6 PM. Kristin also has a solo exhibit, Spaces, at the Copley Society of Art, 158 Newbury St, Boston, MA from Oct 12th _ December 24th 2017. The opening reception is Thursday, Oct 12th from 5:30- 7:30 PMSignature member Ann Hart's painting 'Yearning to Breathe Free' was accepted to the North East Watercolor Society's 41st Annual International Open Exhibition to be held Oct. 15 - 29 at the Kent Art Association, Kent CT.
- Signature member Mike Mazer recently had the privilege of being unanimously approved by the National Board of Directors of the American Artists Professional League at the Salmagundi Club in NYC, as their first Signature member elected in decades and the eighth Signature member overall in their 86-year history. There are currently over 600 members in the organization and only 13 Signature members. The U.S. Coast Guard commissioned Mike to paint a piece as part of the commemoration of the 50th anniversary of the Vietnam War and the USCG's participation in it. This piece, currently on exhibit at the USCG Academy's Museum in New London, CT, will be traveling across the United States during the 10-year commemoration then remain in the Coast Guard's permanent collection in Washington, D.C.
- Signature member Ann Hart's piece '(Who) Art in Heaven' has been accepted to the Pennsylvania Watercolor Society's (www.pawcs.org) 38th Annual International Juried Exhibition to be held in Gettysburg Sept. 11 - Oct.28, 2017.
- Watercolor paintings of New England by Associate Member Diane Bragdon will be featured in a show at the New Hampshire Art Association, Robert Levy Lincoln Gallery, 136 State Street, Portsmouth, NH. The exhibition runs from August 2-26 with an opening reception on Friday August 4, from 5-8 pm, during the Art Round Town gallery walk.
Coastal Colors: Watercolors and Oils, an exhibition featuring paintings by NEWS Signature Members Anne Belson and Julie Blanchard, will be on view at FRONT STREET GALLERY, 124 Front St., Scituate Harbor, MA May 3-28. Gallery hours are Tues - Sat, 11-5 and Sun, 12-5.
Steven Lush's work "The Last Ship Sailed" has been included in this year's Transparent Watercolor Society's Annual Exhibition. The acceptance makes Steve a Signature Member of the TWSA.
Judith Freeman Clark's painting "Opal Peony I" was accepted into the Cape Cod Art Association's "All Cape Cod" Open Juried Exhibit, which runs May 8 through June 4, 2017, at the CCAA, 3480 Rte. 6A, Barnstable, MA 02630.
Also, Judith's painting "Santa on Vacation" received an Honorable Mention at "Show Us Your Colors," the Monson Arts Council's 24th Annual Spring Exhibition, open through April 23 at the House of Art, 200 Main St., Monson, MA.
Steve Hamlin's painting "Raven Study" won the Jack Richeson Award at the Academic Artists Association 67th Annual National Exhibition of Traditional Realism in Vernon CT.
Signature member Ann Hart's painting 'Caught' was accepted to the Louisiana Watercolor Society's 47th International Exhibition to be held in New Orleans May 6 - 20, 2017.
Associate Member Ann Trainor Domingue will be featured in a solo show of new work titled "At Home in the Village—Colorful Expressions of New England Coastal Life." The exhibition, hosted by Kennedy Gallery in Portsmouth, NH, runs from April 4-30 with an opening reception on Friday, April 7, from 5-8 pm, during the Art Round Town gallery walk.
Signature Member Barbara DiLorenzo has written and illustrated two new books:
RENATO AND THE LION
Published by Viking Children's Books
Release date: June 20, 2017
- Signature Member Sally Sawyer Mitchell, who attained Master status in the Cape Cod Art Association in 2014, was awarded 1st place in watercolor at the 2016 CCAA National Show.
- Signature Member Thomas Rebek's painting entitled “Pull Me” has been accepted into the 2017 American Watercolor Society Exhibition to be held at the Salmagundi Club April 3 - 22
Signature Member Bill Lane's watercolor “Berkeley at Boylston” was accepted into the150th Annual International Exhibition of the American Watercolor Society. The piece will be on display from April 3 - 22, 2017 at the Salmagundi Club in New York City.
January 16, 2017 - Signature member Winifred Breines will be exhibiting work in the offices of the Boston city council, Boston City Hall fifth floor, through May 30, 2017. She will be one of five artists featured in the exhibition.
January 5, 2017 - Signature member Steve Hamlin was named Master Artist Member of the Bennington Collective in Bennington Vermont.
January 2, 2017 - Signature member Carolyn Latanision was interviewed recently for the blog Artist Daily: A Talk with Carolyn Latanision
December 6, 2016 - Associate member Esther Donlon has been accepted as a Signature member in the Rhode Island Watercolor Society. This comes from having 3 acceptances into regional and national level competitions hosted by the RIWS. There will be a reception for new Artist and Signature artist members on Jan 22, 2017 from 2-4 at the RIWS Gallery in Pawtucket, RI.
- November 11, 2016 - Signature member and past NEWS president Mike Mazer's painting Lobster Boat won the Winsor and Newton Award at the 88th Grand National Exhibition of the American Artists Professional League. The Exhibition runs from November 6- November 18, 2016 at the Salmagundi Club in NYC.
Signature member Evelyn Dunphy, winner of the top prize in the 2016 NEWS North American Open Show, will be teaching a watercolor workshop in Bruges, Belgium, September 6-13th, 2017. For information, visit French Escapade at http://www.frenchescapade.com/trips-painting-belgium.html. Email Jackie Grandchamps at email@example.com to register. Early sign up by November 30th eligible for $200.00 savings.
The French watercolor magazine “Pratiques des Artes” includes three of Evelyn Dunphy’s still life paintings in the October issue.
- Signature member Steve Hamlin's painting "Shaker Barn Window Study" was accepted to the Northeast Watercolor Society's International Show. His third acceptance, the painting earned Hamlin signature membership in the organization.
- Associate member Esther Donlon's painting, "Rose of Sharon," was selected by Birgit O'Connor for inclusion in the juried art event, RIWS 2016 Northeast Regional Watermedia Competition, which runs from Oct. 22 to Nov. 26.
Associate member Judith Freeman Clark had her painting, "Pup in the Pool," accepted into The Art of Play Open Juried Show at the Rhode Island Watercolor Society. The juror is Robert Noreika. The show runs from Sept. 17 to Oct. 20.
Also juror Birgit O'Connor selected Judith's painting, "Afternoon at Staglieno Cemetery, Genoa," for inclusion in the RIWS 2016 Northeast Regional Watermedia Competition, which runs from Oct. 22 to Nov. 26.
- Signature member and past president Mike Mazer has three paintings on exhibit at the Coos Art Museum in their 23rd Annual Maritime Art Exhibition through September 26, 2016 in Coos Bay, Oregon. He will be exhibiting with the American Society of Marine Artists in their 17th National Exhibition which will be traveling to six museums across the country from September 2016 - January 2018. Mike was recently elected to signature membership with the Society. In August, Mike exhibited in the Cape Cod Art Association's National juried exhibition in Barnstable, Massachusetts where he has the designation of Master Artist.
Signature member Michael E. Vermette is currently featured in a one person show of his watercolors and oils depicting Monhegan Island and Down East of Maine's Fishing communities at work. The show, entitled WORKING HARBORS, runs from September 2nd to October 11th, 2016 at the Gleason Fine Art Gallery, 31 Townsend Avenue, Boothbay Harbor, Maine.
End of the season, Stacking Lobster Traps, watercolor by Michael E. Vermette
Watercolors of Cape Ann by Marilyn Swift will be shown at Gloucester's Rocky Neck Gallery 53 from August 31st through September 20th. All paintings were completed "This Side of the Bridge" and painted in plein air. Please join the artist at the Opening Reception, Saturday, September 3rd, 6-8pm.
- Associate member Judith Freeman Clark was awarded fourth place for her painting, "Santa on Vacation," in the "Blues" Open Juried Show at the Rhode Island Watercolor Society. Her painting, "Low Tide at Sunset, Nantasket," was also accepted into this show. The juror was Lian Quan Zhen. The "Blues" show continues through August 18.
- Signature member Marilyn Swift’s paintings will be featured at a new exhibition at the Elizabeth Moss Galleries entitled “Monhegan, On the Rock", from August 4 through August 20. The Elizabeth Moss Galleries are at 251 U.S. Route 1, Falmouth, Maine 04105; Tel: 207-781-2620. Opening Reception is Thursday August 4th, 5-7pm.
- Signature member Marjorie Rizzo will have 26 watercolors on exhibit at Barn Gallery, Ogunquit, Maine from Aug 10 to Sept. 10, 2016. Reception is Aug. 20, 5 to 7:30 p.m.
- Associate member Winifred Breines has a painting in the National Association of Women Artists, Massachusetts Chapter show, "Continuum: Tradition Meets Innovation," at the Fountain Street Fine Art Gallery, Framingham, MA, June 23-August 6, 2016.
Wini also has two paintings in the National Open Juried Exhibit 2016 of the Cape Cod Art Association, Barnstable, MA, July 11-Augusts 21, 2016.
Signature members Janet Laird-Lagassee and Steve Hamlin both received awards at the Green Mountain Watercolor Exhibition in Waitsfield VT. The judge for awards for the show was Tom Nicholas, NA, AWS.
Signature member Steve Hamlin was awarded first place in 2-D art at the Appalachian Nature Art Competition & Exhibition sponsored by the Allegany Arts Council of Cumberland MD on June 17 for his drawing "Swainson's Thrush with Berry". The show continues until July 9.
NEWS Associate Member Esther Donlon was recently accepted as an Artist Member in the Rhode Island Watercolor Society. Artists can apply after they have been accepted and exhibit in 3 Open Juried exhibits within a 5 year period.
- Steve Hamlin was awarded 2nd place in painting at the 22nd annual Monson (MA) Arts Council show April 16 and promoted to signature member of the Society of Animal Artists on May 9.
- Several NEWS members won awards at the Academic Artists Association annual show in Vernon CT: Rob O'Brien won the top honor for watercolors, Ray Andreotti won the Richeson award and Becky Haletky won an excellence award. Other members who have work in the show include Dawn Evans Scaltreto, Gerarde Doucette and Steve Hamlin.
- NEWS Associate Member Esther Donlon's painting, "Vecci Amici (Old Friends)," has been accepted into the "Friends" Open Juried Show at the Rhode Island Watercolor Society. The opening reception for this exhibit is May 7, 4 - 6 pm at the Rhode Island Watercolor Society Gallery, Slater Memorial Park, Armistice Blvd., Pawtucket RI. The exhibit will be on display from May 7 - June 9.
- Mike Mazer, signature member has been elected to Fellow, Magna Cum Laude with the American Artists Professional League, NYC. Also, Mike’s watercolor image of “New Bedford Whaleman’s Statue” has been reproduced on the cover of “A Bold and Hardy Race of Men The Lives and Literature of American Whalemen”by Jennifer Schell and published by University of Mass Press.
- Congratulations to Signature members Nan Rumpf and Frances Schreiber on having paintings accepted to the 149th annual show of the Amwerican Watercolor Society. Robert O'Brien also had a painting accepted to the show. If any members were accepted who haven't been acknowledged, please accept our apologies or let us know.
- Associate member Esther Donlon was awarded 2nd place in watercolor in the Westford Regional Art Event, Mar 11, for her painting "Rose of Sharon", included on her blog: artbyesther.blogspot.com.
- Signature member Marilyn Swift is exhibiting watercolors of Monhegan Island Maine at Bank Gloucester, located at 160 Main Street, Gloucester MA from March 12th through May 13th. The show can be viewed anytime during regular banking hours. The public is invited to a reception with the artist Saturday, March 19th from 11am - 1pm.
- Signature member Evelyn Dunphy will be leading two upcoming European workshops:
Painting the Wild coast of Ireland – the Unspoiled Beara Peninsula – May 28 – June 4th. At an artists' and writers retreat "Anam Cara". Small group workshop with lots of personal attention. contact
Evelyn Dunphy at firstname.lastname@example.org for information and to register for the last two places. "Your workshop changed my painting in innumerable ways...thank you!" - from an artist in last Mays workshop in Ireland.
Watercolor in Provence – September 13-20, 2016. A small group workshop with Jackie Grandchamps of French Escapades. Information here: http://www.frenchescapade.com/trips-painting-provence.html#evelyne2. "Best Workshop I have ever taken" - an artist in Evelyn's workshop on the Costa Brava last September.
- Signature member Francesca D'Elia will have a March-April show at the H.C.Studio in Brookline Village. The show will feature work created in the wake of the loss of her husband and inspired by the grieving process and the courage we find within ourselves to carry on.
- Congratulations to Signature Member Steven Lush - he was accepted into the 2016 AWS Annual Exhibition to be held at the Salmagundi Club, NYC, from 4/4/16 to 4/23/16. The piece accepted is "The Dog Watch". This is his 3rd AWS exhibition earning him Signature Membership!
Four of Steve's paintings - 3 watercolors and 1 oil - will be featured in the upcoming "New Horizons in Modern Maritime Art" exhibition at the Maritime Gallery of Mystic Seaport in Mystic, CT. The exhibition runs from 4/30/16 until 6/12/16.
- Signature member Ron Parry passed away on December 17, 2015. He and his wife Monique (also a Signature member) divided their time between Gold Canyon Arizona and Boothbay Maine.
- New Signature member June Pierpont Webster will be conducting a two-day workshop at the RI Watercolor Society November 20 & 21. June will revisit a few of her classes' favorites. Working from June's reference materials, these lessons will explore color theory, the importance of values and edges, and a variety of painting techniques. For more information or to register, please see the RIWS website.
- Signature member Steve Hamlin's painting "American Bulldog - Casper" was awarded first place in watercolors at the Friends of the Agawam Library annual art show.
Associate member Esther Donlon is the artist of the month in November at the Parish Center for the Arts, 10 Lincoln St., Westford. The Gallery is open on Sundays 12-2 pm from Nov 1 – Nov 29th. There is an artist reception with refreshments on Sunday Nov 8 from 12 -3. Follow this link for more details.
Sandy O'Connor is one of the 86 artists selected for the 75th Annual International Open Exhibition in Seattle, Washington at the Washington State Convention Center. She was awarded the Silver Medal for her painting The Umbrella at a reception held at the Crown Plaza Hotel in downtown Seattle. The was chosen by internationally known jurors Judy Morris and Alvaro Castignet out of more than 600 entries from seven countries and 24 states. This acceptance qualifies O'Connor for prestigious Signature Member status in the NWWS. The painting can be viewed on her website, www.sandyoconnorartist.com.
- Sandy O'Connor's artwork was selected as a finalist in the Landscape category of The Artist's Magazine 32nd Annual Competition due out this December 2015.
A painting by NEWS associate member Winifred Breines was accepted to the 46th National Exhibition of the California Watercolor Society which will take place next year in San Francisco.
NEWS signature member Thomas Rebek has won the David Marsland Memorial award of $1500 at the Rhode Island Watercolor Society's 21st Annual National Competition. The presentation is on Saturday, October, 3 from 4:00 to 6:00 p.m. More information can be found at the Rhode Island Society's website http://www.rhodeislandwatercolorsociety.wildapricot.org
- Judith Freeman Clark has recently achieved Artist Member status in the Rhode Island Watercolor Society. Her painting, "View from Castel Dragone, Camogli," was accepted into the show, "Celebration of the Sea." Juried by Robert Mesrop, the show runs from Sep. 12 to Oct. 1, at the Society's gallery at Slater Memorial Park, Armistice Blvd, Pawtucket, RI.
- Associate Member Esther Donlon's painting "What's in the Water" has been accepted into the Rhode Island Watercolor Society's 21st Annual National Watermedia Competition. The exhibit will be at the RIWS gallery, Slater Memorial Park, Armistice Blvd, Pawtucket, RI from Oct 3rd - Oct 29th. The opening reception is Oct 3rd, 2015 from 4 pm - 6 pm. Awards will be given at at 5 pm during the reception.
- NEWS Signature Member Anne Belson's painting "Winter Memory" will be included in Pennsylvania Watercolor Society's 36th Annual International Juried Exhibition, September 25th - November 13th, 2015 at the Carlisle Arts Learning Center in Carlisle, PA. For additional information, please visit www.pawcs.com. Anne's painting "Summer Day" was awarded Honorable Mention in Watercolor at Cape Cod Art Association's 'Lazy Days of Summer" Gallery Artist Exhibition, August 27 - September 14 in Barnstable, MA. For further details, visit www.CapeCodArtAssoc.org.
- New Signature Member Steve Hamlin's painting "Brown-headed Nuthatch" was awarded an honorable mention at the Green Mountain Watercolor Exhibition in Waitsfield VT (June 28-July 25, 2015).
- In memoriam: Loring Colman, a dynamic figure in the life of Concord Art, died peacefully in his sleep on July 7 at the age of 97. He will be missed by so many. His funeral is planned for 2pm, Sunday, July 19 at Saint Mark's Church, Southborough, MA, with a memorial service at Middlesex School to follow in September. During his long career as an artist, he transitioned from oil painting to watercolor and never went back. He was an Academician of the National Academy of Design and a member of the American Watercolor Society, the Allied Artists of America, the Guild of Boston Artists, the New England Watercolor Society, Concord Art Association, and the Salmagundi Club.
A more extensive biography and obituary is available here:
Congratulations to the 2015 NEWS Regional Show prizewinners:
- 1st prize, Gracia Dayton, Purple Mountains
- 2nd prize, Paul Dudek, Water 24
- 3rd prize, Gigi Burboek, Ancient Chambers-Egypt
- HM, Nan Rumpf, The Journey
- HM, Robert Mesrop, In The Yard
- HM, Donna MacLure, Tangled
- Andrew Kusmin Award, June Webster, Winter in Soho
- George Shedd Award. Yvonne Hemingway, Summer Rhodies
- Marshall Joyce Award, Shauna Shane, Future
- Congratulations to the following people who, having been accepted to this year's NEWS Regional show, earned signature membership eligibility: Paul Alie, Seth Berkowitz, James Earl, Maryann Goblick, Steve Hamlin, Michael E. Vermette and June Webster.
- Photos from the June 7, 2015 field trip/gallery talk to the American Watercolor Society traveling show at the Rhode Island Watercolor Society gallery:
- Associate member Karen Fitzgerald received a Juror’s Choice Award at the Contemporary Watercolors show and exhibit at the Arlington Center for the Arts, 41 Foster St. Arlington. Ma. Two of Karen's pieces were accepted to the show, which hangs until June 26th, with “Watercourse Encounter” taking the award. NEWS member Marjorie Glick was the juror.
- Associate member Esther Donlon had 2 paintings accepted into the Contemporary Watercolors exhibit at the Arlington Center for the Arts, 41 Foster St., Arlington, Ma. The exhibit was juried by NEWS member Marjorie Glick and it will be on display June1 - June 26.
- NEWS president, Dawn Evans Scaltreto will be exhibiting in the Arsenal Center for the Arts exhibition of illustrators, More Than Words: An Illustration Exhibition, June 11 – August 28, 2015. Opening Reception Thursday, June 25, 5:30-7:30pm, 321 Arsenal Street Watertown. Dawn is a member of the Society of Children's book Writers and Illustrators.
- May, 2015 - Associate member Steve Hamlin was accepted to the Art and the Animal show of the Society of Animal Artists to be held this August to October at the Roger Tory Peterson Institute in Jamestown NY. Hamlin will be represented by his recent painting "Winter Wren."
- May, 2015 - Numerous NEWS members were accepted to the 65th annual National Exhibition of the Academic Artists Association in Vernon CT. Signature member Robert Noreika was awarded best in show.
- March, 2015 - Associate member Steve Hamlin was accepted to the Art of the Animal Kingdom show at the Bennington (VT) Center for the Arts. This is Hamlin's sixth consecutive year being a part of the show. This year's work is "Cedar Waxwing with Serviceberries."
- March, 2015 - Associate member Steve Hamlin was awarded 2nd place in painting at the Monson (MA) Cultural Council Art Show for his recent painting "Cedar Waxwing with Serviceberries."
Published by Little Bee Books
Release date: February 8, 2018
Download past issues of the newsletter of the New England Watercolor Society here.
Adobe Reader required.