New! Share news of your accomplishments with other NEWS members.
Send your news to Steve Hamlin. Please include your name and NEWS status (associate or signature member). Please also include "NEWS News" in the reference line! You can include a web address too - either your art website or the website of the show or organization you are posting about. Send the info as plain text, such as in the body of an email. You can include a related image (as an attachment). We reserve the right to edit or reject any or all submitted material.
Signature member Ann Hart's painting 'Caught' was accepted to the Louisiana Watercolor Society's 47th International Exhibition to be held in New Orleans May 6 - 20, 2017.
Associate Member Ann Trainor Domingue will be featured in a solo show of new work titled "At Home in the Village—Colorful Expressions of New England Coastal Life." The exhibition, hosted by Kennedy Gallery in Portsmouth, NH, runs from April 4-30 with an opening reception on Friday, April 7, from 5-8 pm, during the Art Round Town gallery walk.
Signature Member Barbara DiLorenzo has written and illustrated two new books:
RENATO AND THE LION
Published by Viking Children's Books
Release date: June 20, 2017
- Signature Member Sally Sawyer Mitchell, who attained Master status in the Cape Cod Art Association in 2014, was awarded 1st place in watercolor at the 2016 CCAA National Show.
- Signature Member Thomas Rebek's painting entitled “Pull Me” has been accepted into the 2017 American Watercolor Society Exhibition to be held at the Salmagundi Club April 3 - 22
Signature Member Bill Lane's watercolor “Berkeley at Boylston” was accepted into the150th Annual International Exhibition of the American Watercolor Society. The piece will be on display from April 3 - 22, 2017 at the Salmagundi Club in New York City.
January 16, 2017 - Signature member Winifred Breines will be exhibiting work in the offices of the Boston city council, Boston City Hall fifth floor, through May 30, 2017. She will be one of five artists featured in the exhibition.
January 5, 2017 - Signature member Steve Hamlin was named Master Artist Member of the Bennington Collective in Bennington Vermont.
January 2, 2017 - Signature member Carolyn Latanision was interviewed recently for the blog Artist Daily: A Talk with Carolyn Latanision
December 6, 2016 - Associate member Esther Donlon has been accepted as a Signature member in the Rhode Island Watercolor Society. This comes from having 3 acceptances into regional and national level competitions hosted by the RIWS. There will be a reception for new Artist and Signature artist members on Jan 22, 2017 from 2-4 at the RIWS Gallery in Pawtucket, RI.
- November 11, 2016 - Signature member and past NEWS president Mike Mazer's painting Lobster Boat won the Winsor and Newton Award at the 88th Grand National Exhibition of the American Artists Professional League. The Exhibition runs from November 6- November 18, 2016 at the Salmagundi Club in NYC.
Signature member Evelyn Dunphy, winner of the top prize in the 2016 NEWS North American Open Show, will be teaching a watercolor workshop in Bruges, Belgium, September 6-13th, 2017. For information, visit French Escapade at http://www.frenchescapade.com/trips-painting-belgium.html. Email Jackie Grandchamps at firstname.lastname@example.org to register. Early sign up by November 30th eligible for $200.00 savings.
The French watercolor magazine “Pratiques des Artes” includes three of Evelyn Dunphy’s still life paintings in the October issue.
- Signature member Steve Hamlin's painting "Shaker Barn Window Study" was accepted to the Northeast Watercolor Society's International Show. His third acceptance, the painting earned Hamlin signature membership in the organization.
- Associate member Esther Donlon's painting, "Rose of Sharon," was selected by Birgit O'Connor for inclusion in the juried art event, RIWS 2016 Northeast Regional Watermedia Competition, which runs from Oct. 22 to Nov. 26.
Associate member Judith Freeman Clark had her painting, "Pup in the Pool," accepted into The Art of Play Open Juried Show at the Rhode Island Watercolor Society. The juror is Robert Noreika. The show runs from Sept. 17 to Oct. 20.
Also juror Birgit O'Connor selected Judith's painting, "Afternoon at Staglieno Cemetery, Genoa," for inclusion in the RIWS 2016 Northeast Regional Watermedia Competition, which runs from Oct. 22 to Nov. 26.
- Signature member and past president Mike Mazer has three paintings on exhibit at the Coos Art Museum in their 23rd Annual Maritime Art Exhibition through September 26, 2016 in Coos Bay, Oregon. He will be exhibiting with the American Society of Marine Artists in their 17th National Exhibition which will be traveling to six museums across the country from September 2016 - January 2018. Mike was recently elected to signature membership with the Society. In August, Mike exhibited in the Cape Cod Art Association's National juried exhibition in Barnstable, Massachusetts where he has the designation of Master Artist.
Signature member Michael E. Vermette is currently featured in a one person show of his watercolors and oils depicting Monhegan Island and Down East of Maine’s Fishing communities at work. The show, entitled WORKING HARBORS, runs from September 2nd to October 11th, 2016 at the Gleason Fine Art Gallery, 31 Townsend Avenue, Boothbay Harbor, Maine.
End of the season, Stacking Lobster Traps, watercolor by Michael E. Vermette
Watercolors of Cape Ann by Marilyn Swift will be shown at Gloucester's Rocky Neck Gallery 53 from August 31st through September 20th. All paintings were completed "This Side of the Bridge" and painted in plein air. Please join the artist at the Opening Reception, Saturday, September 3rd, 6-8pm.
- Associate member Judith Freeman Clark was awarded fourth place for her painting, "Santa on Vacation," in the "Blues" Open Juried Show at the Rhode Island Watercolor Society. Her painting, "Low Tide at Sunset, Nantasket," was also accepted into this show. The juror was Lian Quan Zhen. The "Blues" show continues through August 18.
- Signature member Marilyn Swift’s paintings will be featured at a new exhibition at the Elizabeth Moss Galleries entitled “Monhegan, On the Rock", from August 4 through August 20. The Elizabeth Moss Galleries are at 251 U.S. Route 1, Falmouth, Maine 04105; Tel: 207-781-2620. Opening Reception is Thursday August 4th, 5-7pm.
- Signature member Marjorie Rizzo will have 26 watercolors on exhibit at Barn Gallery, Ogunquit, Maine from Aug 10 to Sept. 10, 2016. Reception is Aug. 20, 5 to 7:30 p.m.
- Associate member Winifred Breines has a painting in the National Association of Women Artists, Massachusetts Chapter show, "Continuum: Tradition Meets Innovation," at the Fountain Street Fine Art Gallery, Framingham, MA, June 23-August 6, 2016.
Wini also has two paintings in the National Open Juried Exhibit 2016 of the Cape Cod Art Association, Barnstable, MA, July 11-Augusts 21, 2016.
Signature members Janet Laird-Lagassee and Steve Hamlin both received awards at the Green Mountain Watercolor Exhibition in Waitsfield VT. The judge for awards for the show was Tom Nicholas, NA, AWS.
Signature member Steve Hamlin was awarded first place in 2-D art at the Appalachian Nature Art Competition & Exhibition sponsored by the Allegany Arts Council of Cumberland MD on June 17 for his drawing "Swainson's Thrush with Berry". The show continues until July 9.
NEWS Associate Member Esther Donlon was recently accepted as an Artist Member in the Rhode Island Watercolor Society. Artists can apply after they have been accepted and exhibit in 3 Open Juried exhibits within a 5 year period.
- Steve Hamlin was awarded 2nd place in painting at the 22nd annual Monson (MA) Arts Council show April 16 and promoted to signature member of the Society of Animal Artists on May 9.
- Several NEWS members won awards at the Academic Artists Association annual show in Vernon CT: Rob O'Brien won the top honor for watercolors, Ray Andreotti won the Richeson award and Becky Haletky won an excellence award. Other members who have work in the show include Dawn Evans Scaltreto, Gerarde Doucette and Steve Hamlin.
- NEWS Associate Member Esther Donlon's painting, "Vecci Amici (Old Friends)," has been accepted into the "Friends" Open Juried Show at the Rhode Island Watercolor Society. The opening reception for this exhibit is May 7, 4 - 6 pm at the Rhode Island Watercolor Society Gallery, Slater Memorial Park, Armistice Blvd., Pawtucket RI. The exhibit will be on display from May 7 - June 9.
- Mike Mazer, signature member has been elected to Fellow, Magna Cum Laude with the American Artists Professional League, NYC. Also, Mike’s watercolor image of “New Bedford Whaleman’s Statue” has been reproduced on the cover of “A Bold and Hardy Race of Men The Lives and Literature of American Whalemen”by Jennifer Schell and published by University of Mass Press.
- Congratulations to Signature members Nan Rumpf and Frances Schreiber on having paintings accepted to the 149th annual show of the Amwerican Watercolor Society. Robert O'Brien also had a painting accepted to the show. If any members were accepted who haven't been acknowledged, please accept our apologies or let us know.
- Associate member Esther Donlon was awarded 2nd place in watercolor in the Westford Regional Art Event, Mar 11, for her painting "Rose of Sharon", included on her blog: artbyesther.blogspot.com.
- Signature member Marilyn Swift is exhibiting watercolors of Monhegan Island Maine at Bank Gloucester, located at 160 Main Street, Gloucester MA from March 12th through May 13th. The show can be viewed anytime during regular banking hours. The public is invited to a reception with the artist Saturday, March 19th from 11am - 1pm.
- Signature member Evelyn Dunphy will be leading two upcoming European workshops:
Painting the Wild coast of Ireland – the Unspoiled Beara Peninsula – May 28 – June 4th. At an artists' and writers retreat "Anam Cara". Small group workshop with lots of personal attention. contact
Evelyn Dunphy at email@example.com for information and to register for the last two places. "Your workshop changed my painting in innumerable ways...thank you!" - from an artist in last Mays workshop in Ireland.
Watercolor in Provence – September 13-20, 2016. A small group workshop with Jackie Grandchamps of French Escapades. Information here: http://www.frenchescapade.com/trips-painting-provence.html#evelyne2. "Best Workshop I have ever taken" - an artist in Evelyn's workshop on the Costa Brava last September.
- Signature member Francesca D'Elia will have a March-April show at the H.C.Studio in Brookline Village. The show will feature work created in the wake of the loss of her husband and inspired by the grieving process and the courage we find within ourselves to carry on.
- Congratulations to Signature Member Steven Lush - he was accepted into the 2016 AWS Annual Exhibition to be held at the Salmagundi Club, NYC, from 4/4/16 to 4/23/16. The piece accepted is "The Dog Watch". This is his 3rd AWS exhibition earning him Signature Membership!
Four of Steve's paintings - 3 watercolors and 1 oil - will be featured in the upcoming "New Horizons in Modern Maritime Art" exhibition at the Maritime Gallery of Mystic Seaport in Mystic, CT. The exhibition runs from 4/30/16 until 6/12/16.
- Signature member Ron Parry passed away on December 17, 2015. He and his wife Monique (also a Signature member) divided their time between Gold Canyon Arizona and Boothbay Maine.
- New Signature member June Pierpont Webster will be conducting a two-day workshop at the RI Watercolor Society November 20 & 21. June will revisit a few of her classes' favorites. Working from June's reference materials, these lessons will explore color theory, the importance of values and edges, and a variety of painting techniques. For more information or to register, please see the RIWS website.
- Signature member Steve Hamlin's painting "American Bulldog - Casper" was awarded first place in watercolors at the Friends of the Agawam Library annual art show.
Associate member Esther Donlon is the artist of the month in November at the Parish Center for the Arts, 10 Lincoln St., Westford. The Gallery is open on Sundays 12-2 pm from Nov 1 – Nov 29th. There is an artist reception with refreshments on Sunday Nov 8 from 12 -3. Follow this link for more details.
Sandy O’Connor is one of the 86 artists selected for the 75th Annual International Open Exhibition in Seattle, Washington at the Washington State Convention Center. She was awarded the Silver Medal for her painting The Umbrella at a reception held at the Crown Plaza Hotel in downtown Seattle. The was chosen by internationally known jurors Judy Morris and Alvaro Castignet out of more than 600 entries from seven countries and 24 states. This acceptance qualifies O’Connor for prestigious Signature Member status in the NWWS. The painting can be viewed on her website, www.sandyoconnorartist.com.
- Sandy O'Connor's artwork was selected as a finalist in the Landscape category of The Artist's Magazine 32nd Annual Competition due out this December 2015.
A painting by NEWS associate member Winifred Breines was accepted to the 46th National Exhibition of the California Watercolor Society which will take place next year in San Francisco.
NEWS signature member Thomas Rebek has won the David Marsland Memorial award of $1500 at the Rhode Island Watercolor Society’s 21st Annual National Competition. The presentation is on Saturday, October, 3 from 4:00 to 6:00 p.m. More information can be found at the Rhode Island Society’s website http://www.rhodeislandwatercolorsociety.wildapricot.org
- Judith Freeman Clark has recently achieved Artist Member status in the Rhode Island Watercolor Society. Her painting, "View from Castel Dragone, Camogli," was accepted into the show, "Celebration of the Sea." Juried by Robert Mesrop, the show runs from Sep. 12 to Oct. 1, at the Society's gallery at Slater Memorial Park, Armistice Blvd, Pawtucket, RI.
- Associate Member Esther Donlon's painting "What's in the Water" has been accepted into the Rhode Island Watercolor Society's 21st Annual National Watermedia Competition. The exhibit will be at the RIWS gallery, Slater Memorial Park, Armistice Blvd, Pawtucket, RI from Oct 3rd - Oct 29th. The opening reception is Oct 3rd, 2015 from 4 pm - 6 pm. Awards will be given at at 5 pm during the reception.
- NEWS Signature Member Anne Belson's painting "Winter Memory" will be included in Pennsylvania Watercolor Society's 36th Annual International Juried Exhibition, September 25th - November 13th, 2015 at the Carlisle Arts Learning Center in Carlisle, PA. For additional information, please visit www.pawcs.com. Anne's painting "Summer Day" was awarded Honorable Mention in Watercolor at Cape Cod Art Association's 'Lazy Days of Summer" Gallery Artist Exhibition, August 27 - September 14 in Barnstable, MA. For further details, visit www.CapeCodArtAssoc.org.
- New Signature Member Steve Hamlin's painting "Brown-headed Nuthatch" was awarded an honorable mention at the Green Mountain Watercolor Exhibition in Waitsfield VT (June 28-July 25, 2015).
- In memoriam: Loring Colman, a dynamic figure in the life of Concord Art, died peacefully in his sleep on July 7 at the age of 97. He will be missed by so many. His funeral is planned for 2pm, Sunday, July 19 at Saint Mark's Church, Southborough, MA, with a memorial service at Middlesex School to follow in September. During his long career as an artist, he transitioned from oil painting to watercolor and never went back. He was an Academician of the National Academy of Design and a member of the American Watercolor Society, the Allied Artists of America, the Guild of Boston Artists, the New England Watercolor Society, Concord Art Association, and the Salmagundi Club.
A more extensive biography and obituary is available here:
Congratulations to the 2015 NEWS Regional Show prizewinners:
- 1st prize, Gracia Dayton, Purple Mountains
- 2nd prize, Paul Dudek, Water 24
- 3rd prize, Gigi Burboek, Ancient Chambers-Egypt
- HM, Nan Rumpf, The Journey
- HM, Robert Mesrop, In The Yard
- HM, Donna MacLure, Tangled
- Andrew Kusmin Award, June Webster, Winter in Soho
- George Shedd Award. Yvonne Hemingway, Summer Rhodies
- Marshall Joyce Award, Shauna Shane, Future
- Congratulations to the following people who, having been accepted to this year's NEWS Regional show, earned signature membership eligibility: Paul Alie, Seth Berkowitz, James Earl, Maryann Goblick, Steve Hamlin, Michael E. Vermette and June Webster.
- Photos from the June 7, 2015 field trip/gallery talk to the American Watercolor Society traveling show at the Rhode Island Watercolor Society gallery:
- Associate member Karen Fitzgerald received a Juror’s Choice Award at the Contemporary Watercolors show and exhibit at the Arlington Center for the Arts, 41 Foster St. Arlington. Ma. Two of Karen's pieces were accepted to the show, which hangs until June 26th, with “Watercourse Encounter” taking the award. NEWS member Marjorie Glick was the juror.
- Associate member Esther Donlon had 2 paintings accepted into the Contemporary Watercolors exhibit at the Arlington Center for the Arts, 41 Foster St., Arlington, Ma. The exhibit was juried by NEWS member Marjorie Glick and it will be on display June1 - June 26.
- NEWS president, Dawn Evans Scaltreto will be exhibiting in the Arsenal Center for the Arts exhibition of illustrators, More Than Words: An Illustration Exhibition, June 11 – August 28, 2015. Opening Reception Thursday, June 25, 5:30-7:30pm, 321 Arsenal Street Watertown. Dawn is a member of the Society of Children's book Writers and Illustrators.
- May, 2015 - Associate member Steve Hamlin was accepted to the Art and the Animal show of the Society of Animal Artists to be held this August to October at the Roger Tory Peterson Institute in Jamestown NY. Hamlin will be represented by his recent painting "Winter Wren."
- May, 2015 - Numerous NEWS members were accepted to the 65th annual National Exhibition of the Academic Artists Association in Vernon CT. Signature member Robert Noreika was awarded best in show.
- March, 2015 - Associate member Steve Hamlin was accepted to the Art of the Animal Kingdom show at the Bennington (VT) Center for the Arts. This is Hamlin's sixth consecutive year being a part of the show. This year's work is "Cedar Waxwing with Serviceberries."
- March, 2015 - Associate member Steve Hamlin was awarded 2nd place in painting at the Monson (MA) Cultural Council Art Show for his recent painting "Cedar Waxwing with Serviceberries."
Published by Little Bee Books
Release date: February 8, 2018
Download past issues of the newsletter of the New England Watercolor Society here.
Adobe Reader required.